A singing bowl is a powerful tool for healing that goes by many names: Tibetan singing bowl, sound bowl, singing bell, Himalayan bowl, standing bell, meditation bell, vibration bowl, and others.
With a history that is believed to date back thousands of years, singing bowls were first created by pre-Buddhist cultures. It is unknown what the original purpose of these bowls may have been; it is possible that they were simply intended as items for everyday use. If so, modern-day knowledge of the potential benefits of singing bowl healing is an astounding example of powerful metaphysical properties found in the most unassuming of objects.
What is a Singing Bowl?
Before you can master using a singing bowl for healing, it is imperative that you have a clear understanding of the bowl itself.
A singing bowl is a special type of bell, often made in a shape that closely resembles a bowl. Every single Tibetan singing bowl is unique, as is its beautiful, resonant tone. Each bowl’s shape, size, dimension, weight, and even its history play a pivotal role in the sound it makes.
Today, singing bowls are a part of Buddhist spiritual practices, as well as a well-established methodology for individuals with an interest in chakra healing and metaphysical wellness.
How to Use a Singing Bowl
The distinctly rich sound made by a singing bowl is produced using a specific technique. Usually, a large mallet is pressed along the bowl’s outside rim. It is then moved alongside the rim in a circular motion. This movement will create a bright tone, which can be altered by gently slowing the motion.
How Does a Singing Bowl Work?
So, can using a singing bowl heal your mind, body, and soul? As with many tools and methodologies of metaphysical and holistic wellness, that largely depends on the skill of the practitioner and the openness of your mind.
You may have heard that a singing bowl can help raise your vibrations or frequency – but what does that mean? Essentially, the resonant sound can be used to refine the electrical frequencies within your brain and body. Remember that the human body is electric, powered by electrical signals. Our brains operate on five primary frequencies:
- Beta (14-40 Hz): Beta makes up nearly 100% of our waking hours, existing as the core of your reasoning and logic. This frequency is essential in keeping us safe and alive and is necessary for the existence of the human race. However, beta can also induce feelings of anxiety or stress, should you become trapped in a negative pattern of thoughts.
- Alpha (7.5-14 Hz): Alpha is often achieved during eyes-closed meditation, and is often the frequency in which people describe feeling pleasantly relaxed but alert (or, as some may say, “inflow”).
- Theta (4-7.5 Hz): In theta, waves of deep relaxation open the door for openness and creativity. You gain the ability to reconnect with your inner self, the being that has a millennia-long connection to our earth and an undeniable sense of harmony and freedom. It is often believed that theta is the ideal frequency for healing, visualization, and repatterning. Regularly using singing bowls for healing, specifically at the proper frequency, can eventually empower you to access theta without the bell in time.
- Delta (0.5-4 Hz): Delta is typically achieved during sleep, and places your body in a restorative state.
- Gamma (over 40 Hz): Gamma is the rarest of all five frequencies, and is usually only reached by monks with extensive experience in meditation.
Chakra healing and singing bowls
Singing bowls are frequently used by metaphysical practitioners that have mastered the art of chakra healing. The pure sonic waves produced by a singing bowl are a necessary contrast to the ongoing, manmade noise of our world. As such, it reawakens humans’ natural ability to hear – and perhaps more importantly, listen – on a spiritual, emotional, and physical level.
If you are interested in pursuing holistic healing, using a singing bowl or participating in singing bowl sessions can be an excellent complement to meditation.
What are the Benefits of Using a Singing Bowl?
Like any spiritual practice, singing bowls promise benefits that are unique to each individual and their personal journey. The most common of singing bowl benefits is relaxation, which many describe as an exceptional method for reducing stress and restoring positive energy.
At our holistic boutique, singing bowl healing participants have shared inspiring stories of experiences that include benefits such as:
- Spiritual wellness
- Reduced physical pain or discomfort
- Reconnection to the inner self
- Enhanced ability to achieve emotional release
Discover the Possibilities of Singing Bowl Healing in Dallas and Carrollton, TX
Regardless of your experience with holistic healing and wellness, singing bowl/sound healing can be an extraordinary addition to your life. Learn more about how singing bowls work to support wellness when you visit or contact SoulTopia Holistic Boutique today.
Featured Image: RomoloTavani/iStock